NAS Patuxent River announced June 25 that the installation is now in Health Protection Condition (HPCON) Alpha.
Commanders and public health personnel use HPCON levels to guide specific actions personnel can take in response to a health threat. While it’s always important to prevent the spread of germs, there are additional steps you can take if COVID-19 transmission becomes more widespread in your community. Under HPCON Alpha, routine measures to prevent the spread of infection are advised in addition to the following:
• Routinely clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces
• If you are sick, call your medical provider for instructions on receiving care before going to the clinic
• Stay informed by routinely checking reliable sources of information such as the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and your local public health agencies
Pax River has also reinstated the Trusted Traveler Program for access to the installation. The Trusted Traveler Program allows properly-credentialed personnel to escort non-credentialed guests on base so long as they are in the same vehicle. Non-credentialed visitors must still be escorted by credentialed personnel at all times on the installation.
“We’re happy to announce this shift to HPCON Alpha and the expansion of programs as a result,” said NAS Patuxent River Commanding Officer Capt. John Brabazon. “Falling COVID transmission rates on base and in the immediate community have allowed us to make this change, and I appreciate the hard work and patience of our personnel and residents in the face of the pandemic. This shift is a direct result of your actions to keep our community healthy through safe practices and vaccinations.”
The following services have reopened/expanded as of June 25:
Child and Youth Programs
The Child and Youth Program has moved to Stage 3 operations, which begins a move back to full enrollment. Over the next several months families that were enrolled prior to the COVID pandemic will be contacted to return. Those families deemed mission critical during the pandemic and were not fully enrolled prior to COVID will receive notification and support to find alternate child care in order to make space available for families coming back to the Child Development Centers. Depending on the number of returning enrollees, offers will be made to families from the waitlist until all spaces have been filled. More information can be found at https://www.navymwrpaxriver.com/child-youth .
Fleet and Family Support Center (FFSC)
FFSC staff is back in full-force and are offering in-person appointments for every program, and virtual appointments will remain available as well if a customer is not comfortable coming in. Small group in-person classes are also resuming with a maximum of 12 participants per class. In-person TAP classes will resume the third week in July but will be limited to 12 participants and the virtual option will also remain available. New Parent Support Home Visitation services has resumed in-home visits with mitigations in place per Public Health guidance. For more information call 301-342-4911.
The Pax River Drill Hall is now open to all with base access Monday-Friday, 5 a.m. to 5 p.m. , Saturday 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., closed Sundays. Drill Hall is only open to active-duty military and dependents from 5-7 p.m. Monday through Friday.
Reservations are no longer required. ID checks from 5-7 p.m. for active-duty military and dependents.
Standard fees for access (DoD contractors) still apply
Active Duty, Reserve, Retired Military, and dependents: Free
• Guests of Active Duty, Reserve, Retired Military: Free (limited to 2/visit)
• Guests of Active Duty, Reserve, Retired Military dependents over age 18: Free (limited to 2/visit)
• Guests of Active Duty, Reserve, Retired Military dependents age 10-18: Free (limited to 1/visit)
DoD Civilian, DoD Retired, and dependents: Free
• Guests of DoD Civilian Employees: $5 (limited to 2/visit)
Contractors: $550 for one year from the day of purchase
Prior to 2020, intramural fees were as follows: Active-Duty, Reserve, Retired Military: free (+1 dependent over 18 years for free); DoD Civilian, DoD Retired: $60/per season (+1 dependent over 18 years for free with purchase of intramural card). NEW INTRAMURAL FEE POLICY: charging per sport season vs. month. Contractors: cost included in purchase of $550 contractor membership.
Showers will be open as soon as cleaning has been completed. No towel service provided; patrons must bring own towels. We are ensuring they are operational and cleaned. Saunas are still closed.
Group Exercise classes will resume but capped at 15 people. Indoor Command PT authorized no cap for Command PT’s. Ten classes will be offered per week to gauge interest. More information available at https://www.navymwrpaxriver.com/fitness or by calling 301-757-3943.
Center Stage Theater/Coffee Shop
• Reopens for movie screenings July 2
• Parties can resume
• Capacity limits moved to 75%
• Theater Coffee Shop hours: 7 a.m. to1 p.m. Monday through Friday
• For more information, call Center Stage Theater at 301-342-5033
Recreational swim hours are 11 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.; limited hours are because of a national shortage of lifeguards, but patrons can stay as long as they wish between those hours. There is a 75% capacity limit use of the pool (260 patrons at any one time).
Outdoor pool fees:
• Active Duty/Dependents: Free
• Recreational Swim: Retired Military/Dependents, DoD Civilians and Contractors $5/per person daily; $90 for Family Monthly Pass; $250 for Family Summer Seasonal Pass
• Outdoor pool Lap Swim is free to all including Retired Military/Dependents, DoD Civilians and Contractors from 6-11 a.m.
• Swim lessons will resume (1-on-1 or Group) dependent on number of Water Safety Instructors available.
• Open Friday 8:30 a.m. to 8 p.m., Saturday and Sunday 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
• Tools will be cleaned after each use
• Water fountains are closed
• Hand sanitizing station available for customer usage
Strike Zone Bowling Center
• Open Tuesday-Saturday 11 a.m.to 8 p.m., Sundays 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
• Reservations no longer required, and parties/league play allowed. For more information please call 301-342-3994.
Open with no restrictions
Community Rec (formerly Tickets and Travel)
• Open 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday; office open with no restrictions
• Tables and chairs available for rent
• Pavilions will now allow maximum occupancy
• Outdoor special events and bus trips will resume
• Lending Locker items can now be picked up for use
• Command function equipment rentals can resume
All playgrounds on base are open.
West Basin Marina
Open seven days a week 7 a.m. to 4 p.m.
• Kayak, Stand Up Paddle Board and Canoe rentals available
Camping at Pax River
Open. Reservations required; call West Basin Marina at 301-342-3573
• Open Tuesday through Sunday 2 p.m. to10:30 p.m.
• Liberty events and trips to resume
• Hand sanitizer stations available for customer usage
Housing Office/Community Center
Open for normal operations
Navy Gateway Inns and Suites
• NGIS extends service to leisure travelers in addition to those on official travel
• Front Desk Hours: 6 a.m. to 11 p.m. daily
• For information, call 301-342-3601; for reservations call 1-877-628-9233
Pax River Navy Flying Club
Fully vaccinated pilots, students, and passengers may access the aircraft unmasked
Cedar Point Golf Course
Open Monday 11 a.m. to dusk, Tuesday-Thursday 8 a.m. to dusk, Friday 7:30 a.m. to dusk, Saturday and Sunday 7 a.m. to dusk.
• Walk-ins are now accepted, and tournaments may now be scheduled. For information and reservations, call 301-342-3597