Following the recent fleet up of former NAS Patuxent River Executive Officer Capt. John Brabazon to the air station’s new Commanding Officer Sept. 17, Capt. Derrick Kingsley now steps into the role vacated by Brabazon to become NAS Patuxent River Executive Officer.
Kingsley is a native of Granite City, Illinois, and a 1996 graduate of the United States Naval Academy. Designated a Naval Aviator in 1998, he reported to the Helicopter Anti-Submarine Squadron (HS) 5 “Night Dippers” in September 1999, flying the SH-60F and HH-60H out of NAS Jacksonville, Florida. During this tour, he deployed with Carrier Air Wing 7 aboard USS Dwight D. Eishenhower (CVN 69) in support of Operation Southern Watch, as well as USS John F. Kennedy (CV 67) in support of Operation Enduring Freedom.
In January 2003, Capt. Kingsley reported for shore duty to the Helicopter Anti-Submarine Squadron (HS) 10 “War Hawks” onboard NAS North Island. At HS-10, he became a qualified Instructor Pilot in all mission areas. During thatt time, he also earned a Master of Science Degree from the University of San Diego.
Kingsley reported to USS Boxer (LHD 4) onboard Naval Station San Diego in June 2005, serving as the Safety Officer and Officer of the Deck.
In July 2007, Kingsley reported for a department head assignment with HS-5 “Night Dippers,” serving as Administrative Officer, Operations Officer, and Maintenance Officer. During this tour, he again deployed with Carrier Air Wing 7 aboard Eisenhower (CVN 69) in support of Operation Enduring Freedom.
Following this tour, Kingsley reported as the Assistant Officer in Charge of Commander Helicopter Sea Combat Wing Atlantic Detachment Jacksonville, and went on to:
- Detach aboard USS Carl Vinson (CVN 70) in January 2010 in support of Operation Unified Response in the Bay of Haiti
- Report to Helicopter Sea Combat Squadron (HSC) 3 onboard NAS North Island in July 2010, qualifying as an MH-60S Instructor Pilot.
- Following his transition to the MH-60S, serve with distinction as the HSC-3 Executive Officer from May 2011 until June 2012.
- Become the Executive Officer for the HSC-8 “Eightballers” in June 2012 and completed an eight-month deployment with USS John C. Stennis Strike Group in support of Operation Enduring Freedom.
- Command the “Eightballers” from September 2013 to December 2014, leading them through 11 highly successful detachments and various inspections.
- Following his operational Command at Sea tour, work as the Chief of Naval Operations Plans and Policy Deputy Branch Head and lead Action Officer for the Strategic Laydown and Dispersal portfolio from January 2015 to January 2018.
- Report to the Joint Staff (J35) in January 2018 where he served as the Chief of Operations for the National Military Command Center.
- Serve as the Chief of Staff for the Director of Operations (J3) from September 2018 to December 2019.
- Serve as the interim commanding officer of Naval Air Facility El Centro in El Centro, California, from January to March of 2020.
- Report as the Executive Officer of Naval Air Station Patuxent River Sept. 17, 2020.
Kingsley’s personal awards include the Defense Superior Service Medal, Legion of Merit, Meritorious Service Medal (second award), Air Medal, and the Navy and Marine Corps Commendation Medal.