The DOD has begun notifying more than 330,000 veterans they may be eligible for a refund for taxes wrongly paid on their disability severance pay.

Under federal law, veterans who suffer combat-related injuries and who are separated from the military are not supposed to be taxed on the one-time lump sum disability severance payment they got from the military.

For years the DoD improperly withheld taxes on these payments from thousands of unsuspecting veterans, who were typically unaware that their benefits were being improperly reduced.

Carol Allison, the accredited financial counselor at the Fleet and Family Support Center located on Schoolhouse Lane aboard Naval Support Facility (NSF) Dahlgren shared that staff at the center would be delighted to assist veterans with filing for the refund. Allison can be reached at 540-653-1839.

How To File For A Refund

Affected veterans can submit a claim based on their actual disability severance payment by submitting an IRS Form 1040X, the Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return.

The IRS also has approved a simplified method for obtaining the refund, in which veterans can claim the standard refund amount on Form 1040X based on when they received the disability severance pay. Those standard refund amounts are $1,750 for tax years 1991 to 2005, $2,400 for tax years 2006 to 2010, and $3,200 for tax years 2011 to 2016.

Estates or surviving spouses can file a claim on behalf of a veteran who is now deceased.

The deadline to file for the refund is one year from the date of notification from the DOD notice, or three years after the due date for filing the original return for the year the disability severance payment was made, or two years after the tax was paid for the year the disability severance payment was made, according to the IRS.

You may still be eligible for a refund even if you don’t get a letter from the DOD. Visit the IRS website and search “combat-injured veterans” for further information.