WASHINGTON - Are you ready to be notified in the event of an emergency or base closure? A quick and easy sign up to the Wide Area Alert Notification (WAAN) system could save you in more ways than you can imagine.
Deployed by the Navy in 2008, the WAAN system provides Navy installations worldwide with an effective and reliable mass notification system that can be used during a crisis to warn and direct affected personnel.
"As a civilian employee, I thought that my home phone or cell phone numbers were none of my command's business. And certainly they didn't need to know my kids' personal information," says Marcher Castell at Navy Installation Command headquarters.
"Of course, that meant that they couldn't call me to tell me to evacuate, or include my children in the evacuation count. They couldn't even call me to tell me something simple like the power being out in my building and not to drive all the way in to the office."
All military (active duty and Reserve), civil service and contractor personnel with an NMCI or One Net user account are required to register their office email address and phone number, at a minimum, in the WAAN. Registering personal emergency contact information also is strongly encouraged.
As Marcher discovered, the Navy can't alert you if it cannot find you. Registration is not automatic, but by providing your personal contact information, you take advantage of the following benefits:
- Registration enhances your safety and empowers you to react in times of crisis.
- Registration ensures that real-time alerts provide information to you and your family on what to do and where to go in an emergency.
- Registration allows you to find out about base closures due to weather or an emergency, before you show up.
- Registration permits you to be notified when it is clear/safe to return to the installation. All personal information is safeguarded.
How to Register
1. NMCI/One Net users right-click on the Purple Globe icon (bottom right corner on desktop).
2. Select "Access Self Service."
3. Select the "My Info" tab and update your last name, first name, and display name and save.
4. Select the "Devices" tab and enter your work and personal contact information in the appropriate mandatory and optional device fields.
6. Update your profile any time you have a change.
If you have trouble with registering through the Purple Globe, try the workaround for your region. Links can be found under Mass Notification>Wide Area Alert Notification System on the Ready Navy website at www.ready.navy.mil. Click on (or copy and paste into your browser's address bar) the link for the workaround for Naval District Washington: https://waanndwcdap01.nmci.navy.mil/orp/atlaunch.asp?opt=uid&nextUrl=https://waanndwcdap01.nmci.navy.mil/SelfService/Entry.aspx?uid=%5bUID%5d