Thank you for the warm welcome into the Fort Detrick and Frederick Community. Fort Detrick is an active installation with various mission partners, new construction, and exciting programs that I can't wait to learn more about. I also look forward to being a part of the multi-service family here at Fort Detrick, understanding and learning the various missions of our sister services. Frederick and the surrounding areas offer a wealth of history and a beauty that is priceless and I encourage those that have not explored these wonders to do so.
I'm sure everyone has been the new kid on the block at least one time. As you know, there are various emotions that you feel such as apprehension and excitement. Throughout the summer, several of you will be moving to a new city, graduating from school, or even transitioning to a new job and will experience being the new kid.
Because of my military career, I've moved several times in 30 years and have picked up a few tips along the way to make an easy transition.
Here are a few tips:
- Talk to people
- Ask someone to show you around
- Get connected; (Fort Detrick has various media channels such as The Standard, Facebook and Twitter, and Fort Detrick webpage)
- Participate in activities; (Fort Detrick has a great FMWR program)
- Have a good time
- Ask a lot of questions
- Don't be afraid to make mistakes; every opportunity is a learning opportunity
- Maintain balance both personally and professionally
As the new Garrison Command Sgt. Maj., I look forward to encompassing the "One Team, One Mission" as well as serving the Fort Detrick and Frederick communities.