advertisement
advertisement
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Delicious
E-mail this article
Print this Article
advertisement

The mailbox is overflowing, creating a tripping hazard for visitors, which means it's time for another feedback issue.

A reader passed on some second-hand complaints, alleging that the Summary of Mishaps "singled out some groups in the Navy" and awarded them some comments that were "insensitive or offensive."

For starters, the two types of personnel mentioned rarely appear in this message, so one could hardly describe them as "singled out." If I appear to pick on anyone, it would be young Sailors and Marines, and they seem to weather the sarcasm and innuendo admirably.

Regarding the aviation support equipment technician second class who set his sleeve ablaze after soaking it with charcoal starter that had leaked because his dog had chewed a hole in the squeeze bottle, a Marine wrote to say that he was surprised we didn't file the incident under "fire arm safety."

I always have mixed feelings when my readers think up funnier stuff than I do.

A civilian who works for the Navy wrote to thank us for keeping him out of the Friday Funnies. Seems he was strolling in Singapore with a buddy and pointed out a Harley. The rider noticed and invited them to a nearby rally, which led to an invite to borrow a motorcycle and go for an impromptu ride. "I realized that borrowing a strange bike, to go riding in a different country (where they ride on the wrong side of the road), was inviting disaster," our correspondent wrote. It would be highly embarrassing in print, if he got in a wreck. So he reluctantly declined the invite.

A reader wrote to offer "some insight on how one breaks his leg on a golf course," featuring his son, who was home from college. He tried to broad jump over a sand trap, our correspondent explained. "He almost made it." The actual result was a hyper-extended knee and torn nerves and ligaments. The son eventually recovered the use of his leg (although it took two or three years). The dad never did recover the 5-iron that his son abandoned on the course after the pain started.

A petty officer replied to our supposed implication that a Marine did the wrong thing getting his gun in order to deal with some "possible home invaders."

"I submit that retrieving the firearm is absolutely the correct action in that situation," the Sailor wrote. "His mistake was having his finger inside the trigger guard."

For the record, we implied no such thing (the fly in the ointment, as careful readers recall, was the dog). However, we agree with his final statement.

Speaking of security consciousness, I recently wrote (about someone who shot himself in the hand while in bed asleep), "I can't think of anything more uncomfortable than a loaded weapon under my pillow."

An emailer said, "I think a hole in your hand from said pistol would be significantly less comfortable. This from an ex-submarine JO who has slept in some pretty uncomfortable places."

This week’s photo shows bags of ice tied to an electrical box at a campground to prevent overheating. Someone wrote to call it "a brilliant engineering solution. Rather than limit the electrical load to the safe limit of the wiring, fabricate a self-extinguishing breaker panel. When the overloaded panel bursts into flames, the ice melts and helps extinguish the fire. Of course water on an electrical fire isn't the best choice, but perhaps this was merely a prototype for dry ice that would use CO2 as an extinguishing agent."

OK, back to work. See you next time. And keep your feedback coming. Pro or con, it is one of my favorite parts of the week.

Check out my new blog, "Beyond the Friday Funnies," at http://www.public.navy.mil/navsafecen/Pages/media/nscblog/index.aspx. Topic # 2: Biting Off More Than You Can Chew